LSO St Luke’s is a fully-converted and restored 18th century Grade I listed Hawksmoor church just to the north of the City on Old Street. The venue offers striking, stylish and flexible event space in a prime location.
Main space, the Jerwood Hall, fills the main body of the building. The hall has been converted and still features elements of the building’s original design. Original stonework and the magnificent east window create an unforgettable atmosphere, flooding the space with natural light.
In addition, the Clore Rooms at LSO St Luke’s provide ideal breakout spaces for more intimate meetings. The Café is located within the reconstructed crypt and is also suitable as a breakout area which can accommodate up to 150 standing guests (80 seated) for smaller receptions.
LSO St Luke’s boasts fully integrated sound and lighting systems – you can even light the spire or have your company name projected on the side of the building!
The building is home to the London Symphony Orchestra’s community and music education programme – LSO Discovery. LSO St Luke’s is the UK’s foremost orchestral musical education centre.
St Lukes’s was built as part of the Fifty New Churches Act, which was passed by Queen Anne to provide churches to areas in and around London and Westminster. The church was commissioned in 1727 but after other churches had been expensively built, the architects Nicholas Hawksmoor and John James were given a strict budget of £10,000.
Almost as soon as St Luke’s was completed, the building was wrought with problems due to subsidence and had to be repaired constantly. Eventually in 1959, due to a particularly dry summer that left some supporting columns hanging from the roof, the building was declared unsafe and the church was abandoned. The church was gutted and the roof removed leaving only Hawksmoor’s spire in place. The interior was left open to the elements. It was left to ruin until 2000 when the LSO chose the location as a venue for their education and community programme – LSO Discovery. The £17 million restoration was completed in 2002 and the orchestra played in the new venue for the first time in January 2003.